Thursday, January 29, 2009

LoveHate Poetry... Black History Month Edition #1


In anticipation of Black History Month (and in response to some major black history being made this month), I offer you the following poem by the late Oscar Brown Jr.

I Apologize...

I apologize for being black,
For all I am, plus all I lack,
Please ma'am, please sir,
Give me some slack,
Cause I apologize.

I apologize for being poor,
For being sick and tired and so,
Cause I ain't slick, 
Don't know the score,
I do apologize.

I apologize because I bear,
Resemblances most people share,
Thick lips, flat nose, and nappy hair,
Yes, I apologize.

I apologize for how I look,
For all the lows and blows I took,
On those, lord knows I'd close the book,
As I apologize.

I apologize for all I gave,
For letting you make me your slave,
And going to my early grave,
Yes I apologize.

I apologize for being caught,
For being sold, for being bought,
While being told I count for naught,
Yeah I apologize.

I apologize for all I've done,
For all my toil out in the sun,
Don't want to spoil your righteous fun,
So I apologize.

I apologize and curse my fate,
For being slow, for being late,
Because I know it's me you hate,
Why not apologize.

I apologize and tip my hat,
Cause you so rich and free and fat,
Son of a bitch that's where it's at,
And I apologize!

No comments: